We offer a wide range of ways to pay and to help you plan your budget.

Need help with your bill?

We understand that sometimes life’s ups and downs mean that some customers may find themselves in a difficult financial situation.

So we can make sure we′re giving you the best possible support for your circumstances, please contact us on 0345 782 0111, or send us a message over Messenger. We are here to help.

Support available

Flexible payment plans and a dedicated help line

We have a wide range of ways to pay including monthly instalments and budget plans to help you spread the cost of your water services bill.

Call our free dedicated help line on 0800 1214608, where our experienced advisors can talk through your payment options with you. This could be a short term payment plan solution or even a payment holiday if you have a break in income.

We also work closely with StepChange Debt Charity who offer free independent budgeting advice. They can provide you with confidential advice on your benefit entitlement and outgoings. You may be eligible for a reduction in your current charges. Contacting StepChange is the first step to see if you qualify.

Please get in touch

We would really like to help you. The earlier you talk to us the more options we have to help you.

Telephone: 0800 1214608

These questions and answers explain how we can help you. If you want further information please give us a call.

Would I save money if I had a water meter?

Switch to a Water Meter
Installing a water meter may reduce your bill, our meters records the amount of water you use and your bill is based on this. These are not the same as a key or pre pay meter so your water supply is always safe.

Having a water meter fitted is free of charge. If you have chosen to have a water meter fitted, you can change your bill back to a yearly charge at any time within the first 2 years of us fitting your meter. To find out more information, and estimate how much your bill would be on a meter please view our Considering a water meter page.

Can you help me use less water and reduce my bill?

Helping you to save water in your home
If you have a water meter, saving water in your home is a great way to reduce your bill and help the environment. To find out how you can save water please view our Water saving products page.

Do you have any schemes to help me lower my bill?

Water Sure
Watersure may be able to help you reduce your bill if your water is supplied by a meter, you are in receipt of certain means tested benefits or tax credits an you have to use large amounts of water. Customers on the WaterSure scheme will not be billed more than the average household bill.

For further information on WaterSure and to see if you qualify, please download the PDF leaflet and application form from the ′Downloadable content′ section below.

SupportPLUS Reduced Tariff Scheme
If you are unable to pay your current charges we may be able to reduce the amount you pay every month. The reduction can be up to a maximum of 50% off your annual bill.

In order to qualify you will need a financial assessment from an independent debt advice provider, such as StepChange Debt Charity.

Application for a reduction can be made every year and proof of income is required.

You must continue to maintain agreed payments in order to qualify for the reduction.

To find out more please contact us on 0345 733 5566.

Can I get my water bill paid from my benefits?

Water Direct
If you are in arrears and receive one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Income Support, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Based Employment & Support Allowance, Pension Credit, we can apply to the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) to take a regular amount from your benefit and pay it directly to us. The advantages of water direct are:
• current charges are paid along with your arrears
• an annual discount of £3.75 may be applied to your bill
• recovery action will be held while you are on this scheme
• Essex & Suffolk Water can apply on your behalf

The quickest and easiest way to apply is to complete our new online application form:

Alternatively you can ring our automated application line on 0800 432 0280.

Can you help me with my water debt?

Repayment plans
If you are struggling with water debts, we urge you to contact us, to help us understand your circumstances.
We can then work with you to agree a suitable payment plan, to pay your debt off in manageable payments over a period of time. To discuss your water debt, please contact us on 0345 782 0111.

SupportPLUS Arrears
If you have more than 2 years of arrears, you may eligible for our Support Plus scheme. The scheme runs for 2 years with a proportion of the historic debt written off quarterly if you continue to pay in line with their agreed payment schedule. This is a once only opportunity and we will maintain regular contact with you whilst you are on the scheme so that you can see how your debt is reducing.

This scheme requires an independent debt advice provider, such as Stepchange to undertake an independent financial assessment to determine eligibility. To find out more please contact us on 0345 782 0111.

I am struggling to make ends meet who can I ask for help?

Independent free debt advice

If you have problem debts and need help with budgeting, we work in partnership with the following free debt advice services.

We’ll give you time - If you are seeking independent debt advice, please let us know. We’ll give you the time you need to deal with your water arrears.

StepChange debt charity
StepChange Debt Charity are the UK’s largest debt help organisation and offer free, impartial debt advice and solutions.

One of their friendly, skilled advisors will look at your whole situation to give you individual budgeting advice. This may help you clear any arrears manage your regular payments and then clear any other debt with solutions like a free debt management plan.

You can reach them on 0800 138 1111 (free including from mobiles) or use their online Debt Remedy tool to tell them about your financial situation, it’s convenient and anonymous.

Worried about your debts?
Try Stepchange’s 60-second debt check - If you′re struggling to keep on top of your money, their simple debt check will give you straightforward advice based on your circumstances.

National Debtline
National Debtline has helped millions of people with their debts. They′ll talk you through options and give clear advice on how to take back control. You can contact them on 0808 808 4000, or find out more information at

Citizens Advice Bureau
Citizens Advice Bureau offer free, confidential, impartial and independent advice from over 3,500 locations. These include high streets, community centres, doctors’ surgeries, courts and prisons. Their advice helps people resolve their problems with debt, benefits, employment, housing, discrimination, and many more issues. It is available to everyone. Advice may be given face-to-face or by phone. You can find more information at or by contacting their advice line on 03444 111 444.

Money Advice Service
The Money Advice Service, set up by government, offers free and impartial money advice. Further details can be found by visiting

What happens if I do not pay my bill or pay late?

It’s important you contact us. We share payment information with Credit Reference Agencies and may proceed with legal action, both of which may affect you gaining credit in future.

Downloadable content

  1. thumb

    Managing debt

    Our code of practice: The collection of debt for domestic customers.


  2. thumb

    WaterSure assistance programme

    Water without the worry.


  3. thumb

    WaterSure application form

    For the period 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020.


Call 0345 782 0111

If you are having difficulty paying your bill.

Online Debt Remedy Tool


Free, confidential help with water arrears and debt problems. Find out more

We use cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our website, you are agreeing to use our cookies. Terms and Conditions